Not Bought Your Motorhome Yet? What To Consider

If you’re considering buying a motorhome, there are many different aspects to consider. Whilst like buying a car, there are unique aspects that you need to take into consideration when choosing to buy a motorhome for your travels or trips away. So, what are the differences, and what do you need to consider when buying your motorhome?

Space Required

There are many different-sized motorhomes available, so knowing which one to get depends on what you’ll need it for. Motorhomes can typically range from 6 metres in length to 14 metres, showing the variety when it comes to size. But instead of simply looking at size alone, it is easier to gauge what size you require based on the interior. How many beds will you need? What types of beds do you require? How large does your lounge area need to be? What cooking facilities will you be using? How much storage is required? These are just some of the questions that will determine how large your motorhome needs to be.

Your Budget

How large or small your budget is will depend on the type of motorhome and the model, you’re able to afford. If your budget is around the £30,000 market you might be looking for a campervan rather than a motorhome, which has a lot of benefits of a motorhome but is more compact and costs much less to buy. However, if you’re looking for a full motorhome, prices start at around £60,000. Prices can go into six figures for some of the larger, more luxury models, hitting £120,000 and more.

Another budget consideration you need to consider is running costs. Running a motorhome isn’t as cheap as running a car, especially when you factor in storage, tax, maintenance, fuel consumption, and insurance.

The Correct Driving Licence

If you have a full UK driving licence, this allows you to operate vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes in weight. So, if you require, or decide to buy, a motorhome that weighs more than that, you’ll require additional licences, and you may have to sit a further driving test. For motorhomes between 2.5 and 7.5 tonnes, you must have a Category C1 licence, and for anything over 7.5 tonnes, you’ll need a Category C licence.

Breakdown Cover

When your car breaks down, it can disrupt your commute or even delay your journey. However, if your motorhome breaks down, your whole trip can come to a standstill. Regular breakdown cover will typically only run to a specific mileage from your home, which would be redundant if you’re halfway across the country. Specialised breakdown cover for motorhomes should be sought to protect you from the unfortunate scenario of your motorhome breaking down on a trip away.

Specialised Motorhome Insurance

If you own and drive a motorhome, standard car insurance won’t be suitable for your vehicle. Instead, you’ll need specialised motorhome insurance, which considers the specific circumstances and issues that can arise when operating your motorhome or campervan. This can include full European cover, glass cover, and contents cover too.

Share blog post


advance insurance

New Business
8 Avon Reach
SN15 1EE

Advance insurance

16 High Street
BA13 3BW

Advance insurance

Imperial House,
College Court,
Regent Circus,

Advance insurance

16 Fore Street
BA14 8HA